Thursday, August 15, 2013

Historical Sew Fortnightly Challenge #16: Separates

The goal for this challenge was to make a 'separate', or "items that can be paired with other pieces in your wardrobe to extend a look."  That's tricky when you don't really have a historic wardrobe to extend.  So I made two pieces.  I'm relatively happy with both.

I think I'll make the blouse again with different fabric, and will extend the front piece out a bit and take out some width on the side pieces.  I have a bit too much side-boob showing for comfort (you'll see in the photos), though it works just fine with a camisole underneath.

The skirt was a bit tricky.  I found the fabric in my parents' cedar chest when I was home this summer; my dad thinks he bought it on one of his navy trips, which would have been 30 years ago.  It's really scratchy, and ridiculously loosely woven, so I have no idea what it was intended for.  Maybe curtains?  Or a tablecloth?  It's also 50/50 wool and poly, which isn't my usual cup of tea.  And it had permanent crease marks from being folded in the same position for 30 years.  Who could blame it?  Although it certainly didn't want to hold any creases I tried to give it.  Due to the scratchiness, I needed to line it, not taking into account the fact that the pattern really needs light weight fabric to work.  My wool kinda feels like mid-to-light weight, so I thought I'd be fine, but wasn't. So the bit in front that is supposed to be wavy just juts out towards the side.  It's awkward.  I'm going to have to turn it into a pleat somehow, but I haven't figured out the best way yet...


The Challenge: Separates

Fabric: Blouse: cotton. Skirt: 50/50 wool/poly

Pattern: Blouse: tutorial from The Dreamstress. Skirt: Decades of Style shaped-seam skirt.

Year: 1930's (though the blouse is early 30's and the skirt is more mid-30's)

Notions: Skirt: zipper and hook/eye

How historically accurate is it? I know the patterns are good, but I'm not sure about my fabric.  They skirt fabric is obviously incorrect, but it was free, so you got to do what you got to do.

Hours to complete: Blouse: maybe 5. Skirt: a really annoying 12.

First worn: Maybe Saturday for a dinner party.

Total cost: The blouse was maybe $12, and notions for the skirt about $4.

And the photos.




Very cool blouse fabric.

The should be wavy bit,

My awesome alternating hems.

No comments:

Post a Comment